Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oh Yeah...

Hey there...
Yeah, I know... I have a lot of nerve posting in this thing again after such a long time.
Get over it. It's my blog. I'll do what I want.

So, what's happened since I last updated?
Well, a lot... I guess.

Mostly we've just sort of settled into living in The Serpico House, and it's generally been great. The neighborhood is lovely, quiet and peaceful. Sometimes when I'm sitting in the living room, watching TV with Avy and Xavier, I just kind of marvel at our environment because it's just so pleasant to me.

Having said this, there's still a lot of work to be done. That probably will never end.

Some stuff has been done, though... I should probably have pictures of these things, but I haven't been in a particularly bloggy mindset, so you'll just have to take my word for some stuff.

The kitchen is still kind of a horror show, but there has been an improvement.



Yep. We got a new fridge. It's a stainless steel Whirlpool. See, the original Serpico fridge just quit working one day. Or, rather, one day I reached into the freezer for a carton of ice cream and pulled out a container of chocolate soup. I must admit that we lived with a luke-warm fridge for quite a while... mainly because we couldn't afford a suitable replacement. Sure, I looked on Craigslist, but most of the normal folks who were selling also specified that they couldn't deliver, and, while my car is certainly large enough to carry a lot of stuff, I couldn't fit a fridge in there. So we needed to find a seller who could deliver the unit.

Additionally, we wanted to make a step up in quality... sort of move towards the kitchen we want. Sure, maybe we could've found a nice stainless steel fridge on Craigslist, but, as my father likes to say, "Why would you buy someone else's problems?" In this case, it definitely made sense--buying a used fridge from a private individual would have left us with no recourse if it just decided to die... or leak... or whatever other bad things can happen with major appliances like this.

But the money... the money.

Nice new fridges ain't cheap. In fact, they're kind of pricey. Just look here:
A Whirlpool Fridge

OK, maybe $899 doesn't seem like a lot of money to you, but it definitely seems like a lot of money to us, and we don't have credit cards. Buying something like a fridge is a pretty major investment for us, and we don't have a lot of spare income.

So we waited. I must admit that it sucked. The old fridge was sort of functional, but it didn't really keep things cold, and the freezer was worthless. Not fun.

But then... a small windfall--some side editing work landed me a bit of extra money. Not a lot of extra money, but it seemed like enough to me... $600.

So I hit the "Scratch 'N Dent." Great place. Imagine a double storefront full of new appliances that have some kind of minor imperfection. I found the above pictured Whirlpool fridge for $500. I honestly couldn't find a blemish or scratch on it--the thing was just a little dusty. Compare that to $899 for the "perfect" new fridge, and I feel like I got a good deal for a nice unit. The store delivered the new fridge and removed the old one the next day for another $50.

One thing I hadn't taken into consideration was getting the actual appliance into the house... the delivery folks knew. They called in advance to find out the size of our back door at its narrowest point. They removed the back door and the door to the fridge, replaced everything and set up the new shelves... the whole process took about 15 minutes.

So there you go... an update. About a fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment