Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Adding Art


What you see right here is the first thing we've actually hung on any of our walls with nails. Considering the number of nails and nail holes we've removed and filled in The Serpico House, you can imagine that we've been somewhat reluctant to make new ones.

Anyway, this is a painting that was done for us by a good friend. We like it.

We need to have it framed... or maybe learn to make a frame for it, but it's nice to see some art on our walls.

Xavier is a little luckier in the art department. He has some great Eric Carle wall decals. They look like these....


He personally oversaw the application of these decals, and he frequently comments on his friends "Brown Beyah" "Burdie" and "Goggie" during diaper changes.


So this naturally has me thinking about wall decals for grown folks. A lot of them are not our type of thing... phrases, etc. Fine with me if you dig that kind of thing, but I can't picture living with some kind of quasi-inspirational quote on the wall. Now, if they made quotes from Sun Tzu's The Art of War on decals, I'd kind of consider this idea, but so many of them are phrases like "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" or "I'm Everything I Am Because of You." Now, while these sentiments certainly apply, I'm pretty sure they can go without being seen on the wall every day. And the hearts and such? I can't take it. Too damn mushy.

Some of the graphic decals are nice, but... eh. I think we should should probably stick with framed art.

3 comments:

  1. DaliDecals.com has some really nifty stuff; and will do custom work for fairly cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Those are much better than the ones I've seen before! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erik,

    I had Dali Decals make a custom Green Tara mantra that's over my bed and I love it. They were super fast too.

    ~Nadia

    ReplyDelete